We are looking for a Building Surveyor to join our clients team, as a global freeholder of an impressive portfolio or properties you will sit on the residential side of the business and be responsible for;
- To assist the Area Manager and Deputy Area Manager in the smooth running and maintenance of the property portfolio.
- To deputise for the Area Manager and Deputy Area Manager in their absence when required.
- To liaise with Regional Executive in the preparation of specifications for major repairs and re-decorations to properties.
- To ensure the Management Surveyors, Letting Officers and other staff deal effectively with day to day repairs and maintenance, and follow company procedures.
- To oversee and manage the effective management of health and safety within the portfolio, monitoring that the risks identified in risk assessments are progressed and managed as required by the Management Surveyors, Letting Officers and other staff as appropriate.
- To provide assistance as necessary to the Management Surveyors, Letting Officers and other staff, in diagnosing property defects, the requirement for more major items of repairs and resolving building maintenance issues.
- To prepare works schedules in relation to building maintenance of all properties within the portfolio when required, obtaining tenders and overseeing the works as required ensuring the works are undertaken to a good standard.
- To liaise with tenants and leaseholders and attend meetings regarding proposed works/works in progress.
- To oversee the performance of consultants and contractors and to monitor work in progress.
- To attend site meetings with consultants, contractors, etc., to discuss progress.
- To attend court on behalf of the company when called upon to do so.
- To ensure that appropriate action is taken following the receipt of any Housing Act Notices from local authorities.
- To apply to Local Authorities for Grant paperwork and process this and all associated paperwork up to commencement of, and after completion of work.
- To liaise with Area Manager in relation to specific problems which develop/occur at particular properties.
- To liaise with the Group's Insurance Department in relation to insurance claims, providing technical advice, dealing with loss adjusters and commenting on specialist reports and quotations.
- To make decisions within pre-determined guidelines in relation to work required of a remedial nature.
- To assist with the supervision of the Accounts Administrator, and other staff involved in the processing of contractor invoices and purchase orders, or other roles that may come within the supervisory capabilities of the job holder.
- To approve purchase orders to contractors raised by Management Surveyors, Letting Officers and other staff, and to check and to approve contractors' invoices to ensure there is no overcharging and contractors are presenting invoices correctly.
- To provide guidance or compile notices to leaseholders advising them of works in accordance with the provisions of the landlord and tenant legislation, and liaising with Residents' Associations and leaseholders/tenants on all matters relating to the progress on such works.
- To liaise and provide guidance on technical matters to other departments within the company.
- To assist with the appointment and approval of contractors in liaison with the company's central audit department and Regional Executive Department.
- To recommend hourly rates of existing and new contractors to Regional Executive/Head Office after discussing same with Area Manager.
- To carry out any other tasks which may from time to time be directed by the Area Manager and which are within the capabilities of the job holder.
In order to be suitable for this position you must be;
- Probably educated to degree level
- Suitably qualified - professionally and/or through experience
- Must be fully conversant with requirements of Landlord & Tenant Acts, Housing Acts, Health & Safety Regulations, Building Regulations, etc.
- Should be a car owner and live within reasonable commuting time/distance from Croydon
In return you will receive a salary of up to £55,000 plus extensive benefits package.