- Posted 18 October 2022
- Salary£70000 - £80000 per annum + Discretionary Bonus
- Job type Permanent
- DisciplineReal Estate Management, Operations & Service Delivery
- Contact NameWesley Beckenham
General Manager - Brand New Luxury BTR Scheme in Kings Cross - £70,000 - £80,000 + Competitive Bonus Structure
This exciting brand new position has now been created to work for a large Developer, Owner and Operator within the Residential and Mixed-Use space with £8bn in their current pipeline.
Based in Kings Cross, this role is a key hire to the launch and manage the first BTR project for Kings Cross in what will be one of London's most exciting estates comprising of 230 units across two blocks.
In this role, our client are looking for a General Manager from within Build to Rent or the Luxury Hotel industry who puts their customers at the heart of their decision making.
About the role:
The General Manager (GM) is responsible for overall day-to-day operations of one or several properties including the supervision of office and maintenance functions in compliance with all company policies and procedures and all applicable housing requirements, all whilst ensuring that the feedback and therefore retention of residents is at the heart of their role.
The General Manager is responsible for the following:
- Manage financial aspects of operations for the assigned property (or properties) that contribute to the company's business goals. This includes preparation of property budgets, monthly asset reports, monthly financial change forms, and capital expenditure tracking.
- Supervises all leasing, administrative, and maintenance functions.
- Hires, trains, and evaluates leasing/office/maintenance and janitorial staff.
- Supervises specific site program administration and ensures that sites are in compliance with brand standards including property presentation, marketing, apparel, etc.
- Resident/landlord relations, which include the management and resolution of customer service issues so that the longer the resident stays at the property, the more satisfied they become.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable statues and requirements for housing laws and regulations.
- Special projects as assigned.
The tasks in the General Manager's area of responsibility include, but are not limited to, the following:
Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable Tasks:
- Proficient with all procedures and requirements of accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Oversees the Community Manager in their efforts to collect rent with attorney and collection agencies.
- Ensures timely compliance with all reporting deadlines, i.e., accounts payable/receivables to the regional office.
- Reviews/approves bad debt write offs and invoice credit memos.
- Reviews and approves expenses up to approved spending limit.
- Oversees regular review of the Payment Processing Dashboard in property management software system for NSFs, failed payments, and other returned items. (Recommended: First of the month and then weekly review thereafter.)
- Oversees the review of rent collections and all NSFs found in the Payment Processing process.
- Oversees the audits of security deposits through and analysis of security deposits against bank liability reports.
- Approves Final Billing Checklists completed by Community Managers to ensure proper processing
- Reviews and reconciles all resident-associated bank rec and cash transactions from the prior month
Marketing, Leasing and Administrative Tasks:
- Prepares annual operating budgets. Responsible for staying within budgetary guidelines for items within one's control. Ensures that major budget items are completed as scheduled according to proper standards.
- Initiates and implements policies, procedures, forms, schedules and/or controls with the approval of the Managing Director to properly manage the staff and physical plants.
- Supervises appropriate building security measures, incident documentations and proper notifications of management, owners and/or insurance carriers where necessary.
- Performs comparable site analysis and comp grids as well as shopping of competition.
- Works closely with Regional Marketing and Leasing Manager to set price points, review target markets and initiates advertising or "specials" with the approval of the Managing Director.
- Ensures that there is always adequate coverage for the leasing office and maintenance. This coverage may include 7 days a week, extended hours of operation or working on weekends, whichever method is appropriate.
- Has complete oversight over the renewal process and speaks with residents after the leasing agent has exhausted all attempts to negotiate a renewal.
- Controls vacancy losses through proactive suggestions and in-depth knowledge with local markets.
- Ensures that all site staff employees have access to necessary computer software and hardware by completing appropriate checklists.
Hiring, Training and Evaluations of Office/Maintenance Staff:
- Supervises the performance of all on-site staff.
- Approves all time sheets including O/T and temporary labour for submission to the regional office on a weekly basis.
- Documents issues to be noted in performance evaluations and keeps the Managing Director fully apprised of the same.
- Drafts disciplinary and/or probationary letters to site level personnel and provides comprehensive backup to People Services team and Managing Director.
- Participates in the training of new team members for the site.
- Encourages site staff in completing Employee Engagement Survey. Develops an Action Plan for Employee Engagement.
Specific Site Program Administration Tasks:
- Conducts monthly roof-to-basement comprehensive inspections and submits inspection form to Managing Director.
- Completes monthly budget variance reports for submission to the Managing Director by the 20th of each month.
- Completes monthly asset report on a monthly basis.
- Maintains a continuous list of project needs and concerns, both administrative and regarding the physical plant.
- Assures timely compliance in conjunction with the Affordable Housing Consultant all responses to audits, whether generated for in-house use or required by appropriate agencies.
- Supervises/ensures adherence to site regulatory agreements.
- Leads the weekly operations meetings, ensures proper attendance, and submits minutes (the creation of which may be delegated) to Managing Director on a weekly basis.
- Approves payroll for site team
Resident/Landlord Relations Tasks:
- Responsible for building's resident retention and acquisition efforts.
- Initiates introduction with new residents within 72 hours after move-in to assure quality control and confirm satisfaction with service that was provided.
- Oversees Community Manager's responsibility to handle all resident complaints expeditiously, diplomatically, and professionally.
- Confirms that residents are fully and properly notified of all issues that affect their residency.
- Thoroughly familiar with each site lease and enforces the House Rules and Regulations of the site as well as the Pet Agreements and any regulatory programs in place and documents significant violations of either. Attends court proceedings as required.
- Oversees team in ensuring proper service to residents by thoroughly reviewing service request logs and following up on completed requests. Also, sets the lead in establishing proper service mentality in all dealings with residents.
If you believe you have the experience and ambition necessary to excel in this role, we'd love to hear from you.
We work as one
The key to growth is in our differences, not similarities. Alongside our partners, building a diverse, inclusive and equal environment is at our core: everyone is made to feel welcome and encouraged to be their authentic self. Respect isn't an opt-in, it's the only way forward.